This FREE Program for 4J Middle School Students takes place at
Madison Middle School
875 Wilkes Dr, Eugene, OR 97404
Camp Hours: July 26-30 from 9 am to 3 pm
Drop off as early as 8:30 am – Pick up by 3:30 pm
The program’s head teacher is Tyler Stubbert, a 4J Middle School teacher with 20+ years experience working in, leading, and designing summer camps.
4J policy requires face masks be worn indoors. Vaccination is not required.
A unique living history camp FREE for 4J Middle School Students in grades 6-8! This fun and engaging activity combines physical training with learning about history, medieval culture, and chivalric virtues. Activities include:
- Solo and partner practice with two-handed sword, single-handed sword, polearms in appropriate protective gear (kids get to keep their fencing masks and gloves!)
- Battlefield dodgeball and other games to learn strategic thinking
- Formation drills with spears
- Learning about the development of Arms and Armour
- Clothing of the Middle Ages
- Battle strategies and tactics and the battles they were used in
- Castle development
- Discussion on the chivalric virtues
Our program provides physically and mentally engaging activities that promote the following virtues:
- Prowess – the pursuit of skill and mastery
- Humility – letting our actions speak for themselves, and recognizing the worth of others around us
- Courage – the strength to do what is right rather than what is easy
- Generosity – generosity of spirit, and sharing with others
- Mercy – showing compassion and kindness
- Temperance – keeping all things in balance
Our mission is to make a positive difference in the lives of children, youth, and adults and our community in general, through the study of Historical European Martial Arts. We specifically prohibit discriminatory or harassing behavior based on race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnic or religious background, or ability, and we will respond quickly and seriously to all forms of harassment.
We create a physical environment where everyone can learn to respect one another; our martial arts school promotes a safe, caring, orderly and supportive training space, where our students are assisted in achieving their highest potential in physical fitness, increased coordination, flexibility and endurance, and mental clarity and focus.
In our youth classes we strive to instill martial arts values in a caring and fun environment that will empower them to successfully move into society with increased confidence, determination, self-esteem and unwavering spirit, but also with thoughtfulness & humanity.
We welcome you!
We're sorry, but registration is now closed.